This Pennsylvania Department of Education-approved program is for individuals seeking to meet certification requirements. All certification candidates must:
- Have a 3.0 GPA
- Pass a series of PRAXIS pre-certification teacher examinations required in PA
- Have documentation of at least 80 hours of volunteer or paid education work experience with learners of the age group the candidate plans to teach. At least 40 of these age-appropriate 80 hours must be with learners whose cultural, social, or ethnic backgrounds differ from the candidate's own. ( View and print the PDF version of the required form, or pick one up in 209A Ferguson Building.)
- Complete an early field experience, with the cooperating teacher at the designated school. This is specified by the certification program. (AEE 295)
- Complete at least 48 semester credit hours, including ENGL 015 or ENGL 030, 3 credits of literature , and 6 credits of quantification.
- Secure a student teaching experience in the requested area of certification. (AEE 495)
- Provide proof of background checks, which are required for student teacher candidates. As of April 1, 2007, the following three background checks are required for student teachers:
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check (Act 34)
- Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151)
- Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) (fingerprints) . The Department of Education has outlined procedures for obtaining the federal criminal history record information from the FBI. Those procedures will change as of December 1, 2008. Read more...
All candidates seeking initial certification must complete an application for the appropriate certificate, which does require a physical examination by a physician licensed to practice in Pennsylvania. Also, an application fee, made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, is required.
Students enrolled in either the agriculture or environmental science option can add additional certification areas to their Instructional I certificate by completing additional coursework.
Leads to certification in agriculture and general science. You can add environmental education by completing at least 12 additional credits.
Environmental Science Option
Leads to certification in agriculture, environmental education, and general science. Additional coursework requires at least 6 credits from the following two areas.
- Animal Science
- Plant Science
- 2012 Student Teacher Guidebook