What to do if you cannot find your Social Security card

If you cannot find your original social security card to take to your VITA site for the preparation of your income tax return, get a Social Security Verification Letter from your local Social Security Office to use until a replacement card arrives. To get the verification letter, take the following proof of your identity (name, birth date and/or photo identification) to a local office.

The verification letter can be printed at the local office and will insure that your name and social security number matches what is in the SSA files. Having the correct name (spelling) and social security number will prevent delays in any tax refunds you might receive.

For additional information/answers to frequently asked questions about social security numbers, search the questions sections for frequently asked questions at the  Social Security Administration.

Social Security Office in State College, PA
901 University Drive, Suite 2
State College, PA  16801
Phone:  1-800-772-1213
TTY: 1-800-325-0778