Advantages of the CEDEV Graduate Program
- The best of both worlds—the structure of cohort-based courses and the flexibility to complete the coursework on your schedule through the Penn State World Campus, the online campus of Penn State (Penn State is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.)
- Interactive online setting
- Access to Penn State’s vast academic resources
- Practical approach to theory-based methods of community development
- Earn a Master’s degree or Graduate Certificate part-time while working full-time—without relocating (students may also pursue the certificate or Master's degree full-time)
- Join one of the largest alumni organizations in the world!
The program offers two opportunities in graduate education:
The flexibility of these online accredited programs allows students to balance life and academics through an easy-to-use online learning system, while retaining the benefits of participating in a class with other students and faculty. Instruction in this program emphasizes key themes that include local economic planning and development; municipal finance, land use, and population change; community structure, organization and process; community leadership; tools and techniques for community development; and community decision-making and capacity building.
-Lori Thompson, CEDEV MPS Graduate
The learning environment is collaborative and designed so that students can share their knowledge and experiences and learn from each other. The curriculum and course format offer theoretical understanding of sociological and economic development concepts and application of those concepts to effective community and economic development practice. Students in the community and economic development Master’s program and the Graduate certificate have noted an immediate application of what they have learned in courses to their jobs or elected positions.
Students communicate with faculty and each other through discussion forums, chat rooms and email. A broadband Internet connection is required for participation in all World Campus courses. Ensure that your computer is properly equipped for World Campus courses--view the technical requirements.
Apply today to join our community of committed students, practitioners, and faculty in community development!