Why You Should or Must File a Tax Return
There are several reasons you should file an income tax return each year:
- Establish an official record of your earnings and taxes paid for Social Security purposes.
- Document contributions made to individual retirement accounts (IRA).
- Collect refunds due to you because you overpaid taxes.
- Collect refundable tax credits for which you are eligible (e.g. EITC-earned income tax credit).
- Comply with tax laws..
Additional reasons Pennsylvania residents should file a return:
- You received income of more than $33 from sources such as work, interest or dividends.
- To get all taxes withheld if your income is within the limits of the requirements for PA Tax Forgiveness. You can view the PA Tax Forgiveness Income Eligibility Table on the Pennsylvania Department Of Revenue site.
- To get a refund from the PA Rent and Property Tax Rebate Program. Although this program is not part of the PA income tax return, most seniors who are eligible for the program file for this rebate when they complete the income tax return. You can view additional information about the PA Rent and Property Tax Rebate program on the Pennsylvania Department Of Revenue site.