Daniel Perkins Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Family and Child Ecology, Michigan State University
- M.S., Human Development and Family Studies, The Pennsylvania State University
- B.A., Psychology (with High Distinction), The Pennsylvania State University
75% Research25% Extension
Research and Extension Areas
- Dissemination and Implementation Science
- Fidelity and Adaptation
- Evaluation: Process and Impact
- Youth and Family Resiliency
- PROSPER Model for implementing evidence based programs
- Youth, adolescent, and family development; resiliency in youth and families; Military family readiness, Type II translational research (implementation science), youth engagement in risk behaviors or in youth programs (sports); intervention and/or prevention programs; intersection between prevention science and promotion; community and civic engagement in youth; evaluations of youth and family strength-based, contextual influences on development; and collaboration and community development
- March 2012–August 2013 - Developing Evaluation Plans for Family Readiness Programs. Funded by National Institute for Food and Agriculture through a sub-contract with Purdue University
- October 2011–October 2013 - Resource Center for the Prevention of Child Obesity at the Penn State Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness. Funded by National Institute for Food and Agriculture
- April 2011–December 2012 - Evaluation and Refinement of Reserve Affairs Youth Ribbon Program Currciulum. Funded by National Institute for Food and Agriculture
- December 2010–June 2012 - Navy Youth Sports and Fitness Research Grant. Funded by National Institute for Food and Agriculture
July 2010–July 2013 - Penn State Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness. Funded by National Institute for Food and Agriculture
Selected Research Publications
Aronson, K., Caldwell, L., & Perkins, D. F. (In Press). Assisting Military School-Aged Children and Families with School Transitions: The United States Marine Corps School Liaison Program. Psychology in the Schools.
Perkins, D. F., Feinberg, M. Greenberg, M., Johnson, L., Chilenski, S., Mincemoyer, C., & Spoth, R. 2011. Team Factors that Predict to Sustainability Indicators for Community-Based Prevention Teams. Evaluation and Program Planning, 34, 283-291.
Chauveron, L. M., & Perkins, D. F. 2009. Prevention in context: Classroom heterogeneity as a moderator of PATHS effectiveness. Journal of Children Services, 4 (1), 44-58.
Perkins, D. F. (2009). Community youth development. In J. Wood & J. Hine (Eds.), Working with young people (104-113). London: Sage.
Bumbarger, B. K., & Perkins, D. F. 2008. After Randomized Trials: Issues Related to Dissemination of Evidence-Based Interventions. Journal of Children Services, 3, 55-64.
Perkins, D. F. & Noam, G. 2007. Characteristics of Sports-based Youth Development Programs. New Directions for Youth Development, 115, 75-84.
Borden, L. M., & Perkins, D. F. 2006. Community youth development professionals: Providing the necessary supports. Child & Youth Care Forum, 35, 101-153.
Jones, K. R., & Perkins, D. F. 2006. Youth and adult perceptions of their relationships within community-based youth programs. Youth and Society, 38, 90-109.
Perkins, D. F., Mincemoyer, C. C., & Lillehoj, K. 2006. Extension educators’ perception of community readiness, knowledge of youth prevention science, and experience with collaboration. Journal of Family and Consumer Science, 98 (4), 20-26.
Ramos, D., & Perkins, D. F. 2006. Goodness of fit assessment of the Alcohol Intervention Program and the underlying theories of change. Journal of American College Health, 55, 57-64.
Scheve, J. A., Perkins, D. F., & Mincemoyer, C. C. 2006. Community team’s characteristics that foster youth engagement. Journal of Youth Development: Bridging Research and Practice, 1, 8 pages.
Borden, L. M., Perkins, D. F., Villarruel, F. A., Carlton Hug, A, Stone, M., & Keith, J. G. 2006. Challenges and opportunities to Latino youth development: Increasing meaningful participation in youth development programs. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 28, 187-208.
Perkins, D. F., & Borden, L. M. 2006. Competitive Sports Pressure and Out-of-School Learning Experiences. In F. A. Villarruel, & T. Luster (Eds.), Adolescent mental health (239-256). Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing.
Jones, K. R., & Perkins, D. F. 2005. Assessing perceptions to determine the quality of youth-adult relationships among community youth programs. Journal of Extension, 43, 1-14. Available online at: http://www.joe.org/joe/2005october/a5.shtml.
Mincemoyer, C., & Perkins, D. F. 2005. Measuring the impact of youth development programs: A national on-line youth life skills evaluation system. The Forum for Family and Consumer Issues (11 pages). Available online at: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/fcs/pub/forum.html.
Perkins, D. F., & Caldwell, L. 2005. Resiliency, protective processes, promotion, and community youth development. In Witt, P., & Caldwell, L. (Eds.), Recreation and youth development (149-167). State College, PA: Venture Publishing.
Ansay, S., & Perkins, D. F. (2004). Interpreting outcomes: Using focus groups in evaluation research. Family Relations, 53, 310-316.
Perkins, D. F., & Borden, L. M. (2004). A multidimensional ecological examination of a youth development program for military dependent youth. Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community, 27, 49-65.
Perkins, D. F., Jacobs, J., Barber, B, & Eccles, J. S. (2004). Childhood and adolescent sports participation as predictors of participation in sports and physical fitness activities during adulthood. Youth and Society, 35, 495-520.
Perkins, D. F., & Jones, K. R. (2004). Risk behaviors and resiliency within physically abused adolescents. Child Abuse and Neglect, 28, 547-563.
Perkins, D. F., & Borden, L. M. (2003). Risk factors, risk behaviors, and resiliency in adolescence. In R. M. Lerner, M. A. Easterbrooks, & J. Mistry (Eds.), Handbook of psychology: Vol. 6 developmental psychology (pp. 273-419).: Wiley.
Perkins, D. F., Borden, L. M., Keith, J. G., Hoppe-Rooney, T., & Villarruel, F. A. (2003). Community youth development: A partnership for creating a positive world. In F. A. Villarruel, D. F. Perkins, L. M. Borden, & J. G. Keith (Eds.), Community youth development: Practice, policy, and research (1-23). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Perkins, D. F., Luster, T., & Jank, W. (2002). Protective factors, physical abuse, and purging from community-wide surveys of female adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Research, 17, 377-400.
Perkins, D. F., & Hartless, G. (2002). Suicide among adolescents: An ecological risk factor approach. Journal of Adolescent Research, 17, 3-26.
Ansay, S., & Perkins, D. F. (2001). The relationship between parental bonding and family reunification: A social bonding perspective. Family Relations, 50, 220-229.
Perkins, D. F. (2001). Issues facing rural youth and a framework for positive change. Journal of Family Relations and Human Development/Family Economics and Resource Management, 4, 122-130.