Cathy F. Bowen Ph.D.
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, Home Economics Education
- M.S., The Ohio State University, Home Economics Education
- B.S., North Carolina A&T State University, Home Economics Education
- Provide leadership for the development, implementation, evaluation, and promotion of programs in consumer education and basic financial matters for Pennsylvanians (including basic personal finance, savings, managing credit use, identity theft, consumer rights and responsibilities).
- Provide educational opportunities for county staff by in-service sessions and other methods.
Teach seminars or courses for undergraduate or graduate students.
- Right on the Money: Talking Dollars and Sense with Parents and Kids
- Understanding Income Taxes
AYFCE 270: Consumer and Financial Skills
AEE 590: Agricultural and Extension Education (AEE) Colloquium
- 2011 Continued Excellence Award, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- 2009 Excellence in Financial Literacy Education Award—Curriculum of the Year for Post Secondary/Adult Money Management, Institute for Financial Literacy
- 2006 Educational Publication Award, 1st Place National, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- 2006 Dean Don Felker Financial Management Award, Eastern Regional, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- 2004 Distinguished Service Award, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- 2001 Family Economics and Resource Management Education Award, Family Economics and Resource Management Division of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- 2000 Gold Medal Award Winning Programs of Excellence, Preparing Pennsylvanians for Household Emergencies, Epsilon Sigma Phi
- 2000 Certificate of Recognition for contributions to "Pa2K," the Commonwealth's Year 2000 Outreach Program
- 2000 National Award Winner, Consumers and the Year 2000 (Y2K) and A Consumer's Guide for Y2K Planning, National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
Gutter, M. G., Hayhoe, C. R., DeVaney, S. A., Kim, J. , Bowen, C. F. , Cheang, M., Cho, S. H., Evans, D. A., Gorham, E., Lown, J., Mauldin, T., Solheim, C., Worthy, S. L. Dorman, R. 2012. Exploring the Relationship of Economic, Sociological, and Psychological Factors to the Savings Behavior of Low-to Moderate-Income Households. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. 41(1), 86-101.
Bobbitt, E., Bowen, C. F., Kuleck, R. L., Taverno, R. 2012. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Programs and Taxpayer Actions to Improve Personal Finances. Journal of Extension [on-line], 50(4) .
Radhakrishna, R. & Bowen, C. F. 2010. Viewing Bennett's Hierarchy from a Different Lens: Implications for Extension Program Evaluation. Journal of Extension [on-line], 48(6).
Faulkner, P. E., Baggett, C. D., Bowen, C. F., & Bowen, B. E. 2009. Attitudes Educational, and Career Choices of Food and Agricultural Sciences Institute Participants. Journal of Agricultural Education, 50(1), 45-56.
Bowen, C. F., & Jones, H. M. (2006). Empowering Young Adults to Control Their Financial Future. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 98(1), 33-39.
Bowen, C. F., & Faison, N. (October 2002) Using Simple Educational Techniques to Motivate Consumers to Prepare for Emergencies. Journal of Extension, 40(5)
Bowen, C. F. (2002). Financial Knowledge of Teens and Their Parents. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning Education, 13(2), 93-101.
Bowen, C. F. (2002). A Journal of Extension article, Using Simple Educational Methods to Motivate Consumers to Prepare for Emergencies,” in the Madhya Journal of Extension Education (India).
Bowen, C. F. (1999). How Consumers Prepared for the Year 2000: Preliminary Findings.
The Forum for Family and Consumer Issues 4(3),
Bowen, C. F., Lago, D., & Furry, M. (Fall 1997). Money Management in Families: A Review of the Literature with a Racial, Ethnic, and Limited Income Perspective. Advancing the Consumer Interest, 9(2), 32-42.
Bowen, C. F. (Spring 2001). Maximize Impact by Blending New and Traditional Educational Methods. National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS) Communiqué, 22.
Bowen, C. F. (2001). Considerations for those Planning Careers in Academia. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 93(3), 45-77.
Bowen, C. F. (2001). The Job of the AAFCS Nominating Committee: How the Ballot for National Office is Developed and How You Can Help. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 93(2), 10-11.
Bowen, C. F. (2001). Educating Busy Consumers. (The National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences) The Reporter. 18 & 21.
Bowen, C. F. (2008). African Americans and Money Matters. In J. J. Xiao (Ed.) Handbook of Consumer Finance Research (pp.287-302). New York, NY: Springer.
Bowen, C. F. (2000). Consumer Credit Mathematics. In E. T. Garman & J. J. Xiao (Eds.) The Mathematics of Personal Finance: Using Calculators and Computer. (2nd edition) (pp. 163-179). Cincinnati, OH. Dame Thomson Learning.